Well the holiday season is over, children are going back to school, and we are traveling back from Grandma’s house. I’m a little bummed out the season is coming to a close but it is time to get back to reality. Here are my top 5 tips on how to snap back to real life:
- Go to bed early. I’m sure you’ve heard, “early to bed early to rise, makes you health, wealthy, and wise.” That means going to bed early is a good start to your BTR. If you’re like me and have a tough time winding down and warming up when your schedule has been disrupted, try doing a routine. For example, take a bath an hour before bedtime, make yourself a cup of chamomile tea, do a few stretches and say your prayers. It may also help to put up some blackout curtains and turn on some white noise to help relax yourself. Now when it comes to waking up early, also have a routine and a plan for the day. For example, say your prayers, do a quick workout (10 crunches, 10 pushups, 10 squats, 10 lunges each side, 50 jumping jacks), and take an invigorating shower. Then, grab your to-do list of the day and commit yourself to completing the first three things. When you start to crash, grab a cup of green tea and keep on truckin’!
- Make a (realistic) to do list. I have a habit of making ridiculously long to do lists which sometimes discourage me. During this time of year, it can be detrimental to my productivity. Instead, I make a list of three things that MUS be done, three things I’d like to get done, and 3 things it would be awesome to get done. Breaking up my list this way is amazingly helpful because I will usually say to myself, the top three things must be done before 11am. That way, if I hit a wall after lunch, I haven’t set myself up for failure. Then for the rest of the list, I do something similar for 3pm and 6pm.
- Refresh your New Year’s Resolution. Chances are you made one and statistically speaking you’ve already given up. Well don’t! The first week is the toughest especially since we don’t go back to work and school until the second week. So renew your commitment to your resolution starting in week two.
- Do something new. Do something that you can get excited about: learn a new language, learn a new skill, go on an adventure to your local state park. Finding something that you fin fun and new and fresh will help you power through the dreaded transition BTR.
- Be patient with yourself. You may need a nap, take one. You may need to skip a day for your New Year’s Resolution, that’s okay, but get back on the bandwagon after your one free day. You may not get your top three things done on your list, that’s okay. Just realize 2017 is a long year and as long as this time next year you can look back and see the big picture of things you’ve accomplished, then you’ve done what matters. Don’t be too hard on yourself, you’re only human after all.
I hope you use these 5 tips to help you rejoin society at work or school after a well deserved holiday break. My last recommendation is to remember the things you learned this holiday season. Like being thankful, not taking life for granted, spending more time with family, and the recommended internal temperature of a turkey.
I hope you have a very sparkly year!